Given that there are over 6 million car accidents per year in the U.S, it pays to know what to do after a car accident occurs. No one can ever see themselves being in an accident, and while most of the ones in that statistic are not fatal or threatening to life, the long-term effects of an accident are usually in the mind. You need to be prepared and know what to do once a car accident happens, so that you can remain safe on the road.
Let’s take a look at five things that you need to get done after an accident on the road.
- Always start with calling for emergency services. When it comes to insurance, you need to have proof that the accident has occurred, and this is usually in the form of hospital records and a police report. You also need to call the emergency services if you are dealing with any car issues as you may need some help with a tow.
- Speak to the other driver but don’t admit any fault. You need to swap license information, insurance information and contact details. You can also take photos of the scene so that you can use these as part of your case. Your insurance provider will need these if you have them.
- Speak to your insurance provider and make sure that they are aware that you have had the accident. They may have a courtesy car for you and you have to pick that up so that you can stay on the road as much as possible.
- It’s important to look for a personal injury lawyer near me online once you have contacted your insurance. You need to have some help to make a claim and you could be due some money back to replace car seats or to compensate you while you recover from your injuries. Speaking to the right legal team will ensure that you are covered for damages, injuries and beyond.
- Seek some help at the hospital and get as much support as you can. If you have had serious injuries, speak to your employer and your family and make sure that you are able to continue to work once you are recovered. With the right medical help, you can ensure alongside with your insurance company that you have physiotherapy lined up and you have the right help after the accident.
All of these five things need to be done after a car accident, even if the car accident is a small one. The smallest fender bender needs to be recorded and if you are at fault, it’s a criminal offence not to report a car accident. Rather than get in any kind of trouble, you should consider how you can feel better after an accident happens. The recovery process can be difficult, but knowing you are covered legally, medically and with your insurance provider should give you the peace of mind that you need to recover well.